Hindus concerned for Gypsies’ safety after new Czech Republic study
Special to Earthpages.org
Hindus are concerned at the recent Czech Republic Interior Ministry study reportedly suggesting prevalent racism in the country and possibilities of attacks against Roma (Gypsies) in the future.
Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, said that Czech Republic government should take this report seriously and ensure safety of its Roma populace, who were facing apartheid like conditions. Czech Republic needed better protection system for Roma.
If Czech Republic was unable or unwilling to ensure the safety and security of its Roma people, then European Union should urgently intervene, Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, added.
Rajan Zed pointed out that Roma people in Czech Republic reportedly had faced violent attacks, stereotyping, racism, prejudice, growing gap between Roma and other Czechs, fear, beatings, poor quality housing, systemic employment and overall discrimination, persecution, throwing of Molotov cocktails, social exclusion, segregated schools, forced sterilization, marginalization; refused service at restaurants, stores, discos, etc.; municipalities/towns failing to support them; and the state being unwilling or unable to offer protection.
Zed further said that Czech religious leaders and religious groups, especially the majority Roman Catholic Church, should take-up the cause of Roma people and raise the issue of their continuous maltreatment; as religion taught us to plead for the oppressed, stand with the poor, and seek justice for those whom God loved and too often the world overlooked.
Rajan Zed hoped that the country of Franz Kafka, Antonin Dvorak, Jaroslav Hasek, Karlovy Vary, and rich cultural heritage would not continue staying apathetic and silent spectator ignoring Roma apartheid and would come to their rescue. Vaclav Klaus, Petr Necas and Jan Kubice are President, Prime Minister and Interior Minister respectively of Czech Republic.
References to Roma people in Europe, who are believed to have their roots in the Indian subcontinent, reportedly went as far back as ninth century CE.
- The Europeanization and the Integration Process of Ethnic Minorities in The European Space and Structures: A comparison between the Romanian Roma in London and the Czech Roma in Bohemia (intersectingspaces.wordpress.com)
- Experts: 4 000 militant neo-Nazis in the Czech Republic, attacks on Romani people will increase ” Roma Solidarity News (aboriginalpress.wordpress.com)
- Flourishing abroad, derided at home (economist.com)
- Roma Buzz Monitor ” Gypsy apartheid worsened in Europe during 2011, Hindus stress (worldwright.wordpress.com)
- The Construction of “Gypsies” as Social Category: From the Media Image to the Practices and the Organization of Space (intersectingspaces.wordpress.com)
- Roma living in fear in Hungarian village (guardian.co.uk)
- France Gets Tough on Roma (Gypsy) Immigrants (ibtimes.com)
- Albanian Ombudsman Takes in Homeless Roma (abcnews.go.com)
- Europe Invents the Gypsies: The Dark Side of Modernity (3quarksdaily.com)
- Under Surveillance: The Roma in Hungary 2012 (romediafoundation.wordpress.com)
- Hungarian Roma killings movie premieres in Berlin (ctv.ca)
- French crack down on Roma gangs (bbc.co.uk)