Why do some churches have old time hymns and others have several guitars, drums and other types of instruments that weren’t in churches twenty plus years ago? Are we getting away from what a Christian church should be, and forming something else that maybe isn’t acceptable to God today?
I know some conservative churches that never allow anything but a piano and a church organ for their music. They sing the old time hymns (from when I was a child in church), of which many are still beautiful and really nostalgic.
Other churches allow most any musical instrument. Christian songs by new Christian artists of today are played and sung as well. I’ve got to admit that some of the music that is popular is really beautiful, and touches my heart. One of them is “I can Only Imagine” by MercyMe. It describes what we will feel when we are standing before Jesus someday. It gives me goose bumps every time it’s played! There are many more beautiful Christian songs that are out right now as well.
Do you ever feel the Lord’s presence within you at church when you are singing? According to the Bible, singing and praising the Lord is what he loves for us to do.
Here is a verse from the Bible that talks about David:
And David and all the house of Israel played before the LORD on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals. 2 Samuel 6:5
It seems like there was quite a collection of instruments! I don’t recall any drums mentioned in the Bible, but cymbals were mentioned and timbrels which are similar to tambourines. Psalteries were stringed instruments that were made out of a flat wooden box.
I really believe that when you are in church and praising the Lord with singing, it doesn’t matter what style it is as long as you are joyful in doing so. Singing feels good and makes your heart glad that God loves us, and at the same time you are thanking God for all he has done and continues to do. Singing out loud is a perfect release!
Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise. Psalm 98:4
About The Author
Verona Raymond – Living Life with God’s Purpose in Mind
Verona maintains Christian websites filled with uplifting Christian articles and information.
This article may be reprinted freely as long as all links remain active.
Article source: http://www.articlecity.com/articles/religion/article_283.shtml
- I’m Religious (thescriblerians.wordpress.com)
- Losing My Religion (gretchenekengel.com)
- When Do Christians Have Church Services (christianity.answers.com)
- Christian church song sheet music for sale (christianmusicmakers.com)
- True Worship Music (conroydennis.wordpress.com)
- Christian Teens Abandon Faith Because Of Youth Groups, Not Despite Them – Study (albanytribune.com)
- Are Christian teens leaving the church because of unfulfilling youth groups? (christiantoday.com)
- Christian Music (ilyston.wordpress.com)
- Importace of Worship (smileyed95.wordpress.com)
- Praise the Lord! (shoutingthemessage.wordpress.com)