Luke 17:11-19 – Jesus Heals Ten Men With Leprosy
11 Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. 12 As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy[a] met him. They stood at a distance 13 and called out in a loud voice, “Jesus, Master, have pity on us!”
14 When he saw them, he said, “Go, show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed.
15 One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. 16 He threw himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him—and he was a Samaritan.
17 Jesus asked, “Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? 18 Has no one returned to give praise to God except this foreigner?” 19 Then he said to him, “Rise and go; your faith has made you well.”
This passage is from the Catholic Mass, scheduled for today. I guess the first thing I want to talk about is faith and illness. Will prayer cure all our illnesses? It might in some instances. There have been some medically documented cases. But for most of us, praying, alone, doesn’t make us instantly healthy. It may bring us peace during our illness. And it may help to carry us through an illness. However, for the most part, it’s also a good idea to see a doctor. God works through people too. Not just through faith and prayer.
And as illustrated in today’s reading, God doesn’t play favorites. The Samaritans and Jews were divided in Jesus’ time, each believing they had it right with God. But Jesus, who emerged from the Jewish tradition, sees past all that. He looks inside. And this Samaritan was humble and thankful. So the Lord plainly says, “Rise and go; your faith has made you well.”
- Boundaries, Faith, and Gratitude – Faith (friarmusings.wordpress.com)
- Boundaries, Faith, and Gratitude – Boundaries (friarmusings.wordpress.com)
- Luke 17.11-19 “Thank You Jesus” JUMC 20131013 (mysundaysermons.com)
- Gospel: 28th Sunday in OT (jessicahof.wordpress.com)
- Thank the nice Savior (practicingparadoxy.com)
- 20th Sunday after Trinity 13.10.13 Luke 17.11-19 (preachersfriend.wordpress.com)
- God’s Unexpected Messengers (marypenich.wordpress.com)
- Audio Readings October 13, 2013 28th Sunday in Ordinary Time (sacredheartcatholicchurchcrosbytexas.wordpress.com)