Special to Earthpages.org
It was shocking and dismaying to learn that India had the highest number of people enslaved in the world, Hindu statesman Rajan Zed stated in Nevada (USA) today.
According to first “Global Slavery Index 2013” recently produced by the Australia based Walk Free Foundation and its partners, India has the highest number of people enslaved in absolute terms, with approximately 14 million people in modern slavery – almost half of the total number worldwide.
Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, argued that this incidence of slavery was a scar on India, which claimed to be on track to become a global power. It was blight on a country, which prided herself on having joined the league of hottest growth economies.
Rajan Zed further said that instead of pretending that slavery did not exist, India should show a strong political will and root out slavery completely.
Zed also appealed to India’s billionaires/millionaires, who had enormously benefited from India’s economic growth, to come to the aid of the slavery victims.
- New index exposes slavery worldwide (bbc.co.uk)
- 30 million people are slaves, half in India: survey (ndtv.com)
- Thirty million people are slaves, half in India: Survey (dnaindia.com)
- REPORT: 30 million people are slaves, half in India… (ca.news.yahoo.com)
- Nearly 30 million people in slavery: report (abc.net.au)
- Index: Nearly 30 million people in slavery (aljazeera.com)
- 384,000 People in Burma Are Modern Day Slaves: Report (irrawaddy.org)
- Number of Slaves on the Planet: 30M (newser.com)
- Mauritania, Haiti top new global slavery index (kansascity.com)